Sunday, July 31, 2011

Pirate Flag Dresser

I'm linking to Between Naps on the Porch for Met Monday.  Check out the other Metamorphosis people have posted.  And thank you Susan for hosting.





And I linked to Piece of Work Wednesday at Primitive and Proper.  Thanks Cassie for hosting.


Any one who truly knows me, knows that I love pirates.  Not just the Pirates of the Caribbean ride and Disneyland or the movies, but actual pirates.  I have read and own several books on the subject. One is an actual account of life on board ships and the way they treated victims, etc. 
So after a while I decided I needed to paint a dresser with a pirate flag, since the Union Jack that has become popular. I wanted to copy without copying. Therefore I did Captain Jack Rackhams flag.

I didn't want it to be strictly black so I bought Glidden in a blue grey slate.


I had to enlarge the flag on the computer then I traced on the back with chalk.  Then I centered the flag on the dresser and rubbed over it lightly.  
Next step was to  paint carefully with the heirloom lace paint.  (I forgot the nose and my Daughter noticed and filled it in. After laughing hysterically.)
Then I sanded heavily to give it that wind-worn effect.



I liked these knobs with a little rope detail.




I found an old National Geograpic Magazine map of the Caribbean and burned the edges (and the spot that had the name of the magazine.) Then I decoupaged it to the top with Mod Podge.



I was going to sell it but my son liked it so much that I'm saving it for him.  I'll redo his dresser and sell it instead.
Thanks for stopping by.
Jeannine

11 comments:

Sarah, Three Boys said...

This dresser ROCKS!!! I have 3 little boys and they would LOVE, LOVE this. So cool.

Cassie Bustamante said...

wow!!!! that is so awesome!!!! my son would think that was soooo cool, too!

Rosemary@villabarnes said...

Very creative design.

the junk in our trunks said...

VERY CREATIVE. MY BOYS WOULD LOVE SOMETHING LIKE THAT. GREAT JOB

Mel said...

That is so cool! I love that you didn't do what everyone else is doing and went with what suits you. The blue was a great choice.

Chrissie said...

Awesome! That is really cool!

Rita Mireles said...

This is Awesome! very unique!! I have a daughter that would LOVE it!

Sue@Uniquely Chic said...

Very, very cool and creative!! No wonder your son wanted to keep it for his own :)

Anna said...

very unique! my 8 year old would love something like that

ladybugstamper said...

Wow, that came out great. He will get a lot of use out of the dresser

Recaptured Charm said...

LOVE this! How creative. Great job on the paint and choice of Blue Grey Slate. Your son knows a good thing when he sees it....lol