Monday, June 18, 2012

Wing-Back Chair Slipcovers

Here is my latest project.  First I have to say, my 22 year old daughter has the Spirit of an old man at times! She has wanted a Wing-back chair for several years.  And a good Cigar and a Globe Bar.
Well, she is on her own for the cigar and bar, unless I run across a globe for a good price at an estate sale.
We found these on Craigslist for $100 for the pair.  They are Broyhill and were originally purchased for $387 each (the price tag was still on one.)  Good Deal! And the fabric is exactly the color she loves and is in great shape with absolutely no tears or stains.
I thought it would be good for her to have slipcovers in case she didn't want them green all the time.

So I looked for tutorials and did some pinning first.
I checked out Miss Mustard Seed here and watched her videos.
Then I went to Honeybear Lane and read through her tutorial.

Then I decided to just go for it.
I had about 6 yards of a print fabric that I was not using so I created a pattern by draping, pinning, and cutting.












Then I labelled each piece and unpinned and stacked them.  It took me a while to find canvas dropcloths that were the cream color.  Home Depot and Ace Hardware had great ones...in grey.  Bleach won't help.  I checked at Sherwin-Williams and found these.  They are the 4' by 15' cloths.  It took three for two chairs.
There are so many tutorials out there that I am not giving step by step instructions.
I cut out the pieces from my pattern then pinned and sewed.







Here is the final product!  Front:



I used ribbon cut into sections for the ties. Back:


Daughter did not want a skirt of any sort.  I used the selvege edge of the dropcloths for the bottom of the slips.  The back closure is the ends where a seam hem was already provided.  Husband used the pinking shears to finish all the seam allowances. And, Yes, I did prewash!

Here are the chairs in their home: Daughter and Fiance's apartment! They have only had the apartment two weeks so there is not much for decoration-yet!


I think I will tackle slip-covers for my sofa, loveseat, and chair.  They need it!
Thanks for being kind with your comments.
Blessings, 
Jeannine

I'm joining Susan at Between Naps on the Porch for Met Monday.



1 comment:

jacklynn4 said...

Great work! You make it look easy...got me thinking, I have several chairs that could use an update...
jackie
blissfarmantiques