Sunday, August 5, 2012

Veil into Wedding Garter Tutorial

My daughter gets married in about 30 days!  Very exciting.  
Of course, she didn't want to wear my wedding dress, although I really don't blame her.
She also did not want to wear my veil, another thing I don't blame her for.  It was all perfect in 1984! So in style.  But not in 2012!



I made the veil myself with tulle and the leftover trim from my dress. I loved it and I was very proud of making it .


Here is Daughter modelling.


I figured, why not use the veil for something she could wear?  So I went through and unstitched all the little trim pieces and detached it from the crown part. Then I flattened out the tulle and cut a three inch wide strip.



I ran two lengths of gathering stitches down the center.


Then I pulled up the threads and pinned the 3/4 inch wide ribbon down the center. 



I stitched, using navy thread, along each edge and then removed the gathering threads.


Then I measured Daughter's thigh and cut a length of 1/2 inch wide elastic, then threaded it through the opening between the tulle and ribbon.



The two ends were sewn together to secure the elastic and complete the circle.



I sewed two pieces of the saved trim onto the garter and an old earring from her great grandmother was hot glued in between.  This will be the throwing garter.
The second one will be her keepsake.  It only has a small covered elastic bit on the back side.  Hopefully neither one will be itchy or uncomfortable to wear.  


Thanks for stopping by.
Blessings, 
Jeannine

1 comment:

ladybugstamper said...

Hi!
What a great idea. The garter's turned out great.